Thursday, July 9, 2015

Steamboat Rock State Park

May 19, 2015
We left home this morning in clouds and the temperature in the low 50’s heading for Steamboat Rock State Park on Banks Lake. When we reached Snoqualmie Summit the sun was out and the remainder of our drive was in beautiful sunshine reaching about 80 degrees by the time we reached the park. We took a short walk after getting set up during which we saw the first wild turkey we have seen in any of our two visits here. After dinner we sat out enjoying the evening. We’re really roughing it here without TV and sketchy radio reception.

May 20, 2015
After breakfast I went fishing on the East side of Banks Lake looking to catch trout. On my way through the park I saw a group of wild turkeys.
The turkeys are the dark spots by the tree

After an hour fishing I gave up the attempt having not gotten any bites and went back to the park. We had lunch and went for another walk around the park. Quite a few of the campers were leaving because with the coming Memorial Day weekend others have reservations will be moving in. There is a pond fed by the lake near our site so I geared up my fishing pole for bass fishing. I caught four nice ones keeping two of them to share with a neighbor and eat one myself. All of the fish were over 2 pounds with the largest about 4 pounds. It was really fun catching them. After dinner we sat out again and saw a raccoon going up a tree and settle in for the night. This was another first for us at the park.


May 21, 2015
We awoke to another beautiful day. After breakfast we took another walk where we found geological markers with information on how the lake and the monoliths around it were formed by massive floods and ice floes. We took a drive into Electric City, about 7 miles, to pick up some fishing gear for my new found desire to fish for more bass. I caught another big one, about 18 inches and over 2 pounds, as well as quite a few smaller ones all of which I released.
The Lunker
Today being the Thursday before Memorial Day the park was really filling up with campers for the long weekend. Tomorrow we are off to Prosser and Wine Country RV Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment